November 7, 2009

Koppenbergcross - A Cycle Race Belgian Style

Knowing that I like to cycle, Stijn knew I would really enjoy watching a sport that is very popular here in Belgium.

So today (Oct 25th) we are headed out to Oudenaarde to watch the Koppenbergcross Cycle Race 2009!

First a little information you might find interesting. Like what does Koppenberg mean besides a steep hill in Belgium? Well in Dutch it means "Heading Mount", and is a 77m (253 feet) high 600m (1969 feet) long hill in Oudenaarde. And this is where the cyclist do 8 laps in a race to the finish.
What really makes this race so much fun to watch is that typically the participants are trying to race in the mud. But today it is clear skies and dry.

But for me this was still a very exciting race to see. Now I have done some cycling myself and the one I am most proud of was participating in the "Seattle to Portland" ride twice. But I would never, I mean never, attempt anything like this. To see some of these guys have to get off of their bike and carry it up the hill, tells me I'm just happy to watch.

I do love riding downhill though. But there's just something about a slippery dirt 22% grade that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

It seems though that the cows didn't find this very interesting at all.

We have been here about 4 hours now and I have been dying to have a Bratwurst! So I head on over to one of the vendors and enjoy the views while I'm standing in line.


I am always on the look out for potty facilities. So I start scanning the area to see where that brightly colored row of port-a-potties might be.

Ummm this isn't exactly the Honey Pot I was looking for.....

As we leave the race and I look back up towards the route of this race, I thank Stijn for an absolutely fascinating day.

There are plenty of more pictures of the race on "Where's Debbie". Just click on the album "Koppenbergcross"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments!

Have a Fabulous Day!
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails