January 7, 2010

Arriving in the Alsace

The time has come.........my birthday surprise!

If you have been following this blog, you know that Stijn loves to surprise me with a little trip somewhere when I come to Belgium. Typically he doesn't need a reason or an occasion, but it just so happens that during this trip it is my birthday. Well my birthday was Oct 27th, and today is November 11th and we are driving to the Alsace region of France!

This is a region in the Northeast part of France and is best known for it's white wines. But what I'm seeing as we drive south on the A35 is not only golden vineyards as far as the eye can see, but castles high atop mountains overlooking little villages that are dotted throughout this valley.

Then Stijn makes a right hand turn and we are driving through those golden vineyards and towards the little villages and I ask him in complete surprise, "Is this where we are going?!!" He just gives me that big Stijn smile and says, "Yes".

We pull into the little village of Riquewihr. It seems as though I am in the pages of a storybook! There are half-timbered houses overflowing with geraniums that line cobblestone streets and a clock tower that has lace covered windows.

We walk through the tunnel of the clock tower, turn left down a narrow cobbled street and our accommodations are on the right.

We are staying at "Les Remparts de Riquewihr" and our room is called "Romantic Studio".

This is an adorable studio with stone and wood floors, a kitchenette with a little nook and a stone and tiled bathroom. This will be our home for the next 3 days!

We end our day with dinner at "Au Tire Bouchon", which means "The Corkscrew"

This is the cutest little place with wooden tables and chairs, heavy timbered beams, and antique wine corkscrews displayed on the walls.

Dinner was hearty with alot of German influence. Stijn had a dish that had a variety of sausages with sauerkraut. I have never had goose before, so I chose the goose. Neither of our meals sent us out raving, but a great dessert always makes everything better.

If you would like to see more pictures of our day, just go to "Where's Debbie" and click on the album "Alsace France - Part 1"

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful location!

    Thank you so much for the kind comment you left on my blog! I can't wait to see where the world will decide to take me after I get back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments!

Have a Fabulous Day!
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails